DEVOTION – DAY 55
Philippians 1:27 “Living as a citizen of God’s Kingdom”
Phil.1:27 “Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel.”
Philippi was in Macedonia. It was also a Roman colony so the Philippians were both citizens of Macedonia and citizens of Rome. In this verse, Paul was reminding the Philippians and also us that we may be citizens of our country but we must never forget we are more importantly, citizens of the Kingdom of God.
How should we live as citizens of the Kingdom of God? V.27 tells us to do two things.
1) We are to stand firm in the one Spirit.
2) We are to strive together as one for the faith of the gospel.
- Stand firm in the one Spirit. When we become a Christian, God gives us the Holy Spirit that lives inside of us. God wants us to fully depend upon the Holy Spirit in every situation in our lives. That is what standing firm in the one Spirit means. When we do that, we will live differently compared to how we would have lived before, as non-Christians. As Christians, we will look at life differently. We become more compassionate, less selfish, more caring, more like Christ.
- Strive together as one for the faith of the gospel. Strive together means that as Christians, we must remain united. We must learn to work together especially in the sharing the gospel, the “good news” of Jesus Christ. Satan does not want the gospel to spread and that is why Paul reminds us to remain united because Satan will do everything to cause disunity amongst Christians.
When we look to God for His help always, we will not be worried, impatient, or stressed out. Are you united with other Christians to actively share the gospel message about Jesus Christ to the non-Christians you know? You are more powerful if you work together as a team. When you fight a spiritual war, you can win the war by keeping together and working with others.
Let us pray: Heavenly Father, we thank you for the gift of the Holy Spirit living inside us. May we always depend upon Him in every circumstance and please help us to always be united and willing to serve with others for your glory. In Jesus Christ great name we pray. Amen.
- As a Christian, are you depending upon the Holy Spirit in every situation?
- Are you trusting in your own capabilities and thinking you are smart enough to face life’s many challenges?
- Who do you turn to for help in difficult times?
- How has God been your help?